MY SELF

My name is Paul K.Duah. I was born in Kumasi, Ghana. Ghana is located at the western part Africa. Kumasi has a population of about 3.5million, the second largest in Ghana.

I am 48years old and I am married with 3 children. The eldest and the next are boys. They are all in the University now. The 2nd and 3rd are in the US with me and the eldest with my wife in UK (Britain), where we lived before coming to the US.

Since infancy, USA has been my dream, therefore, when the opportunity came, I made no hesitation to come. My being here is a dream come through.

I started school in Ghana and I have both the Ordinary and Advanced Level of the General Certificate of Education (GCE). Our pattern of education is almost like that of UK.

I like this subject, though, I have not done it before, I can see the amount of information I will get out of the course. This will help me to become a better person and my responsibility in the community I live and the world at large.

Thursday, February 27, 2014

Towns Say 'No Tanks' To Militarized Police.

The Wall Street Journal of Friday, February 7, 2014, page A3, carries a story written by Jennifer Levitz with the heading
Towns Say 'No Tanks' To Militarized Police.
The story goes on to say that Federal Government has bought some sophisticated armored vehicles for the Police Department and that there are some members of the public who are antipathy to it. The argument being made are multiple fold. There are those who maintain that the vehicles are too expensive (one cost between $400,000 -$700,000), and that the Federal Government is being wasteful. The other comments came from Salinas, California and somebody exclaimed, 'when did Salinas turned into a battlefield?' Probably Salinas may be one of those towns or cities which are socially correct and that the community members never think of the violence that we hear of daily at other places. There are also those who see these vehicles as monstrous, intimidating, and threatening. (44,000 pounds, 14- foot high). The sheer sight of it induces violence they argue and they do not want the community to be in that situation.
My opinion is that, I do not condemn what they are saying but I beg to differ. It is true that billions are being spent to equip the large Police force in the country with this type of military vehicles. It is also true that it will take billions to maintain them, and they look very intimidating etc., but let us not lose sight of the fact that America is the most advanced and powerful nation on earth, and that every nation looks up to America in terms of advancement, technology, standard of life, government, security, etc. Do not forget, America too poses its nose into other nations affairs more than any other nation. Let us look at this scenario, somebody seizes a place, with guns and bombs, and grenades, and demands some big ransom say 10million dollars, and the Police come near and for three days this man is all over the news. The news then get to the whole world that one man has seized a place in America and with all Americas power and sophistication they are unable to do anything. That will be a shame to the nation.
I think it is a good thing to have. A vehicle that can move through land mines, bombs, grenades, withstand 50 caliber rounds. No wander, one Policeman said it will save lives. Imagine our soldiers had it when they went to Iraq and Afghanistan, those soldiers who were maimed and those who died, to say the least, most would have been alive by now. It is a good technological advancement. Very soon many US allies are going to make request for it and that alone is going to bring home a lot of revenue. My only fear is that sometimes the Police overdo and bring excesses but that can be taken care of by the law.

No comments:

Post a Comment